Fuelling your body pre and post workout is more important than any other meal throughout your day. Many people don’t realise the role that pre and post workout meals play in the effectiveness of your workout! To break it down a little… the food you consume before your workout will affect your energy levels and your performance output throughout your workout whereas what you eat after your workout is crucial for optimizing the recovery process and replenishing your body!
Now I’m not recommending you go eat a large meal before working out to ensure you have maximum energy for your workout, all you need is a quick snack! Ideally you should try to consume your snack 30-60minutes before but this can depend on how your body tolerates food! So experiment and see what time frame best suits your body!
Each of the snack ideas below contain some protein as well as carbs. Carbs are the fuel they are NOT the enemy!! Protein helps rebuild and repair, but also "primes the pump" to make the right amino acids available for your muscles.
Pre Workout Snack Ideas:
- A teaspoon of peanut butter and banana
- Greek yogurt with berries
- Oatmeal with coconut/almond milk and fruit
- Apple and peanut or almond butter
- Handful of nuts and a piece of fruit
Your Post workout meal plays a vital role in refuelling your body with the nutrients it will need to repair, replenish, recover and adapt. A post workout meal should accomplish the following:
- Replenish muscle glycogen that was depleted during your workout.
- Reduce muscle protein breakdown caused by exercise
- Reduce muscle soreness and fatigue
- Greatly enhance overall recovery
- Reduce cortisol levels
Post workout meal ideas include:
- Protein shake with a piece of fruit
- Turkey on a ancient grain (wheat free) wrap with veggies
- Yogurt berries parfait
- 1 slice of ancient grain toast with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and ½ sliced banana
- 1 to 2 eggs with a slice of ancient grain (wheat free) toast
- 1 rice cake with ricotta cheese and berries
The above offer mainly carbs, some protein and are convenient — with the first two liquid options also helping to rehydrate the body.
If you need any more ideas on pre & post workout snacks, check out My Nutrition eBook available here or My 7 Day Meal Plan here!